Omnibus Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2022 (H.R. 2471)

The Omnibus Was Not About Aid for Ukraine

3/11/22
from The Gray Area:
3/11/22:
The $1.5T Omnibus bill (the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2022 (H.R. 2471)) passed the Senate last night and is headed for President Biden's signature. The bill was supposed to do 2 things, approve aid for Ukraine and prevent a government shutdown. It did three things, very badly. 1. It is touted as Aid for Ukraine. That is a lie. As The Wall Street Journal reports: The bill provides $13.6 billion in aid for Ukraine, including more than $3 billion for European Command operations mission support, the deployment of personnel to the region and intelligence support. The assistance also includes $4 billion in humanitarian aid, helping refugees fleeing Ukraine and providing emergency food assistance and healthcare. That is less than 1% for Ukraine! 2. So, what is the other 99%? Again, The Wall Street Journal reports: The omnibus delivers on some priorities of both parties, such as the increased funding for child care and climate resiliency sought by Democrats and higher military spending pushed by Republicans. It includes billions of dollars requested by individual members for projects in their districts, representing the first time in more than a decade that the earmarks have been employed. Earmarks totaled some $9.7 billion for almost 5,000 projects. The basic bill provides $730 billion in nondefense funding, a $46 billion increase over fiscal 2021, and $782 billion in defense funding, an increase of $42 billion, consistent with a principle both parties have aimed at in recent years of maintaining parity in spending increases for defense and nondefense spending. Breitbart reports the omnibus spending bill contains many leftist, woke, and climate change carve outs:
  • a provision that expands diversity, equality, and inclusion at the Office of the Director of National Intelligence.
  • funds “border security” for eight foreign countries, while including no new funds to construct a border wall along the United States-Mexico border.
  • spends over $100 billion on Green New Deal initiatives, and advance “racial justice” through Department of Agriculture programs.
  • contains $100 million for environmental justice activities at the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) (8X as much as Ukraine Aid), and $75 million for low or zero-emission vehicles (6X as much as Ukraine Aid)
  • $26 billion in food stamp funding (twice as much as Ukraine Aid)
  • No protections from Chinese espionage in grants to the National Science Foundation
  • Increases National Institutes of Health (NIH) funding by 10 percent
  • Provides $66 million for the “Racial and Ethnic Approaches to Community Health (REACH), an increase of $8 million from last year(5X as much as Ukraine Aid).
Would you expect less in a 2,700 page bill! 3. This was also about funding the government by tonight to preventing a shutdown. Did we need all this spending to save the government? Of course, not. If the government doesn't have enough money to run, stop spending. But, instead, Congress spends more. On their political priorities. They say this is for Americans, but the truth is very different. Lunacy! Here is the list of Senators who voted for this spending bill. Every Democrat & 18 Republicans. None of them should have a job at the next opportunity. However, knowing that Manchin & Sinema were not going to help this time and that there were going to be zero Democrat votes against, the Republicans were going to lose 51-50. As such, these 18 Republican members could place a vote anyway they wanted. Which means with earmarks, they can get something out of it for their states.  So in fairness, it's a reason for their votes.  But, they should still have all voted against it, 50-50. They would still have lost withteh VP Harris vote, but would have sent a great message. This is wrong and must stop! More From The Wall Street Journal: More From United States Senate:


365 Days Page
Comment ( 0 )