Israel, Palestinians accept new 72-hour cease-fire offer

8/10/14
 
   < < Go Back
 
from FoxNews,
8/10/14:

Israel accepted an Egyptian proposal Sunday for a new 72-hour cease-fire with Gaza militants.

The move clears the way for the resumption of indirect talks on a long-term cease-fire arrangement in Hamas-ruled Gaza after a month of heavy fighting.

Egypt brokered a similar truce last week. But after the three-day window, militants resumed rocket fire on Israel and new fighting erupted.

The Israeli officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media, said they accepted Egypt’s latest offer Sunday. But they said they were wary after last week’s breakdown.

Palestinian negotiators said earlier Sunday they accepted the Egyptian proposal for the cease fire.

The officials, representing various Palestinian factions, spoke on condition of anonymity because they were discussing sensitive negotiations.

Egypt called on Israel and Palestinian factions to observe the cease-fire beginning within hours, and to resume talks on a more comprehensive Gaza agreement.

A statement from Egypt’s Foreign Ministry said the cease-fire would begin at midnight Cairo time (2101 GMT) and would create the atmosphere to resume humanitarian aid as well as indirect talks, through Egypt, to reach a more lasting and comprehensive cease-fire.

More From FoxNews: