Obama Expected to Reduce Military Aid to Egypt

10/8/13
 
   < < Go Back
 
from The New York Times,
10/8/13:

The Obama administration is planning to suspend a substantial portion of American military aid to Egypt, several administration officials said Tuesday, after last summer’s deadly crackdown on the Muslim Brotherhood and the recent surge in violence there.

The decision, which is expected to be announced in the coming days, will hold up the delivery of several types of military hardware to the Egyptian military, these officials said, including tanks, helicopters and fighter jets. But it will not affect aid for counter-terrorism operations or for border security issues involving the Sinai Peninsula and Gaza.

The administration’s move follows a lengthy review that began in August after days of bloody attacks on supporters of Egypt’s ousted president, Mohamed Morsi, which left hundreds of people dead. The administration had already frozen the shipment of four F-16 fighter jets and canceled joint military exercises with the Egyptian Army.

The United States will also suspend nonmilitary aid that flows directly to the government, but not support for other activities like education or hospitals, the officials said. The decision, which was first reported Tuesday by CNN, does not amount to an across-the-board cutoff of aid to the Egyptian government, officials said. But they said Mr. Obama felt compelled to take stronger action, especially after street clashes erupted in several Egyptian cities last Sunday, in which more than 50 people were killed.

More From The New York Times: