Donald Trump not backing down from comments about Mexican immigrants

   < < Go Back
from FoxNews-Latino,

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump stood firm Monday on his description of Mexican immigrants as criminals.

The businessman, under fire from critics in and out of his party, issued a lengthy statement refusing to back off comments he made in the speech launching his presidential bid last month. In it, he called Mexican immigrant criminals and rapists, prompting several businesses, including NBC, Univision and Macy’s, to cut ties with Trump.

“We MUST have strong borders and stop illegal immigration,” Trump tweeted on Tuesday morning. “Without that we do not have a country. Also, Mexico is killing U.S. on trade. WIN!”

Minutes later, Trump elaborated on those themes.

“I love the Mexican people, but Mexico is not our friend,” he said in a subsequent tweet. “They’re killing us at the border and they’re killing us on jobs and trade.”

He added: “FIGHT!”

In his new statement, Trump said “the Mexican government is forcing their most unwanted people into the United States” and claimed that in many cases, they are “criminals, drug dealers, rapists, etc.”

He said later Monday, during a charity golf tournament at one of his courses, that his standing in some polls is proof that many Americans share his views.

“I think the polls are a testament,” said Trump, one of more than a dozen Republicans running for president. “In the old days, they used to use a term, ‘the silent majority.’ We have the silent majority back, folks.”

More From FoxNews-Latino: